Happiness Exercises (Part 1)

In this month’s blog entry you can test some of the questions we’re working on for a new happiness tool at Personality100. After each exercise you'll read a scientific explanation.

What do you think of these exercises? Do some work better for you than others? Feel free to write and let us know….

Exercise #12: Look up, Look down

Throughout the day we often feel the urge to make comparisons. This exercise invites you to try a skill called 'flip-siding''.

First, fill in the blank with 3 answers:

I wish I …..
1. _______________________
2. _______________________
3. _______________________

For example, one of our students answered:

I wish I:
1. made more money
2. had more vacation days
3. had a bigger apartment

How would you answer? Be sure to think of 3 answers before reading further.

Now, let’s try the flipside.

Fill in the blank with 3 answers:
I’m glad I’m not…
1._______________________
2. ______________________
3.________________________

For example, our student answered:
I’m glad I’m not:
1. Sick today or having a headache
2. Having any problems with my car
3. Having any arguments with my girlfriend this week

How would you answer? And: Which kind of comparison feels better?

* Researchers have found that ..........
Happy people tend to regularly do more of the second type of comparison, called ‘downward’ comparisons. Instead of ‘looking up’ at what they are missing, they ‘look down’ at what they can be grateful for. This is an applied version of ‘looking at the sunny side of life’, or ‘finding the glass half full’ rather than half empty. And, it’s a habit that you can easily train.

* Your assignment this week:
Every evening, before going to sleep, go through a list of 3 things “you are glad you’re not”. If possible, try to come up with something new each night.


What do you think about this exercise? Is it helpful to you? Let us know!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this question! my small suggestion - I think the wording of the question could be better if instead of saying 'I'm glad I'm not....' it said 'I'm glad I don't have to....'

Unknown said...

Simple & effective! Nice! Fast 'band aid'!

Anonymous said...

You are correct. I've noticed this tendency among positive-thinkers, and have noticed the reverse among negative-approach people.
Broadminded "thinkers" are aware of more around them, and appreciative that their situation could be much worse. Self-centered folks dwell on their troubles, and sometimes create self-fulling prophecies. I think it has to do with a person's basic self esteem.